Transcribers log #007 Baby Names of 1857 & 2026

Welcome to... My Darling Emma 1857

If you are NEW HERE be sure to read the beginning of the journey I am on transcribing my family's 19th century letter collection!

Recently someone very special to me shared that they were having a baby. It's such exciting news! And I'm really happy for them!

Now it’s got me thinking of the usual will it be a boy or a girl and what will they name their baby? AND THEN I started to think of the letter collection and all the times I read folks congratulating new parents on babies being born AND the times relatives wrote asking for name suggestions for their baby etc etc.

One of the many letters in the collection

🐥🐥🐥

So just for fun, I wanted to drop a few quotes from the letters in my collection about naming babies in the 19th century. There's a lot of great "old" names there if anyone is looking for names. 

Enjoy these baby fever quotes from 150 years ago! And if you're having a baby in 2026, congrats!

🐥🐥🐥

“Min[Minnie] sends her love and says kiss the baby for her & send her a lock of its hair and picture. I hope you dont think her extravagant. Emma what is its full name? Mary told me it was Jessie. Is it Jessie Wilson? I imagine so. Who does it look like you or Frank?”
-Julia Marie Muse 1879
They named the baby Jessie Garrison Jackson


“Have you named the baby yet? Minnie says tell you to call it Alonya. But I think one of my favorites is either lulu, Lillian, Ursula, Regina, Madge or Maude. Certainly one of them will suit you. Carrie likes Beulah very much not sure I spelt it right. You must’nt be so hard to please now, wait till you have about a dozen to name then you will have to study up a few of your own.”

-Julia Marie Muse 1881

They name the baby Lula Everett Jackson


“I wish Jessie and Lulu were here, the darlings, we would have some fun. What have you named the baby? I guess this [one] will be Beulah.”

-Julia Marie Muse 1883

They named the baby Ruth Childs Jackson


“How is my little namesake? Do you really call her Julia? And is it for me? I am going to consider it so, no matter if she has a dozen Aunt Julias. The little darling, how I would love to see her and all my other little loves. It will soon be time for Hopewell Meeting again. Will you be there?”

 -Julia Marie Muse 1886

They named the baby Julia Muse Childs


“Rachael Ann is not very stout at this time. She has got another boy - he was born the 11th day of June and we have'nt given him no name further than Peter Hornwhipple.”

-George Washington Chapman 1860

They named the baby Ezra Truman Chapman


We have not quite named her yet, but think strongly of calling her Jessie for her first name and we'll wait until we hear from some of you for the second or middle name, if we ever do which from past experience, we think kinda doubtful. We have not had a letter from VA for now two months, except Emma's.

-Thomas Warren Childs 1868


“I think that Jessie is a beautiful name. We all like the name for the babe. Aunt Sue and all think its pretty.”

-Nellie Keeler 1868

They named the baby Jessie Susan Childs


“I was surprised to hear of the boy of sister Sues. I hope they are getting along nicely, think the name is a pretty one.”

-Emma Louise Junkin 1873

They named the baby Caroll Childs Clevenger


“We were very glad to hear from Thomas and Sallie. How do you like the babys name. Please let us hear from you soon.”
 -S. M. Pidgeon [Sarah Marshall Chandlee] 1865
They named the baby Helen Rachel Childs

"Our new baby was born Aug 4 he is a fine big boy and worthy of my fine name. We have thought of a good many but have not decided on any one yet. I wrote to Sister a few days ago and forgot to tell her to send me a name. I want you and her both to send the prettiest and best name you can think of. I will mention some few names that are on consideration now. Burr Childs, Harold Ridgely Childs, Arthur Wilkinson Childs, Edmond Griffin Childs, Layon Lewis Childs, Desmond Childs. We have thought of some others such as president, vice president, professor, Dr, Esq etc. etc. Now you, Sis, Nellie, Mother and Becky send us a name."

-Thomas Warren Childs 1872

They named the baby Raymond Burr Childs


"I suppose Jessie will be very proud of the little babe when it gets older & have something to play with besides cats and such. I can not think of any name yet to send you, I know you would want something fancy."

-Mary Elizabeth Davis 1881

The "fancy" name would end up being Lula Everett Jackson


“He is going to school with a boy by the name of Sam Sims. He calls him “Ham Hims.””

-Laura Rutherford 1869

I'm adding this one to show it doesn't matter WHAT era it is or WHAT you name a child, other kids will find a way to poke fun of ANY NAME!

Top 50 names for girls in 1880s 

( I check marked the names that are in my letter collection )

Mary ✔
Anna ✔
Emma ✔
Elizabeth ✔
Margret ✔
Minnie ✔
Ida ✔
Bertha ✔
Clara
Alice ✔
Annie
Florence ✔
Bessie ✔
Grace✔
Ethel ✔
Sarah ✔
Ella
Martha ✔
Nellie ✔
Mabel ✔
Laura ✔
Carrie ✔
Cora
Helen 
Maude
Lillian
Gertrude
Rose
Edna
Pearl
Edith
Gennie ✔
Hattie ✔
Mattie ✔
Eva ✔
Julia ✔
Myrtle
Louise ✔
Lillie
Frances
Catherine
Lula ✔
Lena
Marie ✔
Ada
Josephine ✔
Fannie ✔
Lucy ✔
Dora

 ☺ Top 50 names for boys in circa 1880s ☺
John ✔
William ✔
James ✔
George ✔
Frank ✔
Joseph ✔
Henry
Walter
Fred 
Albert 
Samuel ✔
Clarence
Louis
David
Joe ✔
Charlie ✔
Richard
Roy
Will ✔
Andrew 
Jesse 
Oscar
Willie
Daniel
Benjamin 
Carl
Sam ✔
Alfred ✔
Earl
Peter 
Elmer
Frederick
Howard
Lewis ✔
Ralph
Herbert
Paul
Lee
Tom ✔
Herman
Martin
Jacob
Michael

 ☺ Top baby boy names of 2026 ☺
according to babycenter.com

Noah

Liam

Oliver

Elijah

Mateo

Levi

Lucas

Ezra

Asher

Elias

Luca

Leo

James 

Hudson

Henry

Sebastian

Theodore

Theo

Samuel 

Grayson

Waylon

Benjamin 

Mohammed

Michael

Daniel

Mason

Jack

Gabriel

Maverick 

Josiah

Ethan

William 

Cooper

Isaiah 

Wyatt 

Julian

Carter

Santiago

Alexander

David

Owen

Weston

Luke

Ezekiel

Roman

Jackson

Matthew

John 

Kai

Atlas


 ☺ Top baby girl names of 2026 

according to babycenter.com


Olivia

Amelia

Sophia

Elena 

Charlotte

Isabella

Emma 

Aurora

Ellie

Mia

Lilly 

Evelyn

Sofia

Violet

Ava

Luna

Aria

Hazel

Harper

Willow

Nova

Ella

Layla

Eleanor

Scarlett

Ivy

Gianna

Penelope

Elizabeth 

Isla

Chloe

Elena

Nora

Lainey

Valentina

Camila

Lucy

Delilah

Avery

Riley

Iris

Mila

Paisley

Leilani

Zoe

Naomi

Emilia

Grace

Ayla

Amara



Comments

  1. It would have been such an interesting time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. It’s been a huge history lesson for me reading all these old letters. I’m learning a great deal and now sharing it with others. Hope you’re following along!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Transcriber's LOG #001 - The begining of MDE1857

Transcriber's Log #002 - THE CHILDS SIBLINGS of Winchester, Virginia

Transcribers Log #004 - ELIZABETH RIDGELY JACKSON of Winchester, Virginia