Transcriber's Log #003 - REBECCA RUSSELL PIGDEON of Wadesville, Virginia
Welcome to... My Darling Emma 1857
If you are NEW HERE be sure to read the beginning of the journey I am on transcribing my family's 19th century letter collection!
I can't believe how much I've learned in all these months of transcribing my ancestors correspondences just by jumping in there (sittin rather) and doing it! Recently I stumbled across some lectures on You-Tube explaining how to better read/transcribe 19th century documents like I have. Not sure why I didn't think of looking for something like this MONTHS ago, but here we are.
Something I noticed right away into reading the letters, they didn't put words together like we do nowadays. An example is cannot/can not or someone/some one and ones I found a lil annoying when reading were to day/today or a bout/about or my self/myself.
Paragraphs, commas and periods were basically NONEXISTENT by most of these letter writers. Boy those were some late nights for me trying to transcribe those correspondences! These were mostly the earlier pre Civil War era letter writers that were so jumbled with text. Their words continuously flowing on the paper, one after the other, with no stopping.. except to flip the page!
As you can imagine just like today, some folks had better penmanship (and punctuation) than others. Some correspondences looked like puzzles and others were definitely more complicated to get thorough. I will take some photos of harder to read & odd letters and show them in future posts. Maybe I could post some of the text & words that I haven't been able to figure out and get help here on my MDE1857 blog. Does that sound like FUN to anyone else? Let me know if anyone is up for a good puzzle of cursive letters? 🤓
Speaking of education (and Quakers for that matter), one Pidgeon family member that really stands out as having what I thought to be beautiful letters in my collection were written by Emma’s cousin Rebecca Russell Pidgeon of Wadesville, Virginia.
![]() |
| Letter and envelope written by Rebecca Pidgeon in 1873. Notice the little Westtown sticker |
Back in the Fall of 1872, Rebecca Pidgeon was about 15 and a student enrolled at Westtown Quaker Boarding School (WQBS). She penned her letters to Emma who was around the same age at the time.
“Beckie” as she closed her letters, wrote on quality monogrammed stationary and her envelopes adorned a miniature “Westtown” sticker on them. She tells of her dorm mates, day-to-day student life, how they must oblige to the Governess’s rules and their well-cared for campus with pampered flower gardens. Beckie seemed surprised to learn the campus had gardeners whose only job was to "tend to the flowers all day."
Beckie’s parents were Samuel Lukens Pidgeon and Sara Marshall Chandlee (I’ll list their other children below.) She never married or had any children but stayed very active with the Red Cross, Woman’s Christian Temperance Union, and of course like her family for decades before devoted to the Society of Friends. I actually saw her listed in the 1936 200th “Hopewell Anniversary Committee” when she was a mere 79 years old according to the book titled “Hopewell Friends History 1734–1934 Frederick County Virginia” (copyright 1936).
🍎🍎🍎
Beckie's Siblings
Children of
Samuel Lukens Pidgeon & Sarah Marshall Chandlee:
•Eliza Chandlee Pidgeon (1855-1930) never married
•Charles Marshall Pidgeon (1862-1951) married Katie Duvall (* I found their family photo in a letter)
🍎🍎🍎
Quotes I took from Rebecca "Beckie" Pidgeon's letters to Emma.
“We have privilege today, but perhaps thee don't know what I mean. Well! We don't have school this morning, and that is all. Once every other week our Governess tells us we may have privilege, and then we do not study but just play quietly or work at fancy work, or read or anything we like, we only have half a day, and have school on seventh day mornings.”
-Rebecca Russell Pidgeon June 18, 1873 while attending Westtown Quaker Boarding School
"The girls do a great deal of fancy work here on seventh day afternoons after they get settled, and that takes a long time, for about 3 o’clock they have some ice cream brought for us, and so it cost us 10 cts a saucer. The school is divided off in companys, and each has a name, the one I am in is called the “Myrtle Reath” and contains about nine girls altogether. Then when we have no school and each company can get together and have a real good time.”
-Rebecca Russell Pidgeon July 12, 1873 while attending Westtown Quaker Boarding School
“We have not the same superintendent that we had when I was here before. I like him very well even if he don't like the girls, and is very strict some times. He lets us go out of bounds to sled, with the boy’s assistant to pull up the sleds some times. And twice he let us go skating with the boys, that is not much fun though, for we are like “birds out of the cage,” and are pretty bashful. Some of the little girls are too naughty for any use. They will not mind what our Governess tells them a bit, and then we all get a scolding together. She is naturally a very sweet woman, so motherly, to those that treat her kindly, but quite delicate.”
-Rebecca Russell Pidgeon February 2, 1873 while attending Westtown Quaker Boarding School
-Rebecca Russell Pidgeon July 12, 1873 while attending Westtown Quaker Boarding School
"We have been getting along very well this season so far. Several girls, me among them, have been broken out with Roseola. It is nothing dangerous, and does not last long, only it makes one feel very badly while waiting for it to last its time out, and the warm weather we have had lately, seems to have an effect on some of us. It was reported that Scarlet Fever was pretty bad in a very important little town near here, but our superintendent is so careful of us I don't think we are in any danger."
-Rebecca Russell Pidgeon June 1, 1875 while attending Westtown Quaker Boarding School
“It is about harvest time with you, isn't it? We seem so shun up here that it is hard to find out what is going on in the outside world, unless our friends tell us in letters. I did see and hear a mowing machine, over in a field across the road from our bounds, and it seemed quite like home."
-Rebecca Russell Pidgeon June 1, 1875 while attending Westtown Quaker Boarding School


Thank you for sharing!
ReplyDeleteHi Mary! I’m really excited to share more as I’m working on more correspondences every week. What fascinating times those were back then!
Delete