Transcribers log #011 MARY E. DAVIS of Frederick county, Virginia
Welcome to... My Darling Emma 1857
If you are NEW HERE be sure to read the beginning of the journey I am on transcribing my family's 19th century letter collection!
![]() |
| Mary signed her letter "Eva" |
🥀 Mary Elizabeth Davis 🥀
(1834-1891)
Mary’s letters were written much later in her life, way past the days of her childhood farm life. Her correspondences start in 1880 when she is about 50 years old and traveling with her husband Isaac Pidgeon for work. She writes of Issac working in various mills, in various towns and their struggles to fit in with these new places. I have to wonder after reading Mary's letters, what her life (and marriage) must have been like leading up to the letters.
Mary and Isaac never had any children, but had several nieces and nephews -like Emma.
Till the next one Folks!
Sincerely,
CT
Quotes from Mary "Eva" Davis:
“ I put it off for a little while as we had a prospect of getting Mr. Jenkins mill, and thought I would write when I was certain we could get it. We have been disappointed so much in getting a place that I had almost been discouraged, and I was so tired where we was that I was almost crazy. Sometimes I felt like putting on my bonnet and leaving until times become better. We moved last Tuesday and expect to stay here until harvest and I suppose we have to pull up again at that time - dont you think I will know how to move if we keep on. ”
-Mary Elizabeth Davis March 29th Post 1875
⁕⁕⁕
“ I suppose you are first enjoying your self eating you have such a good cook. I would like to step in this evening and take supper with you and see what you are doing. I suppose your garden is made and plenty of little chickens running around. I have one hen sitting. I dont know whether I will make any garden or not -it is owing to how I feel. ”
-Mary Elizabeth Davis 1881
⁕⁕⁕
“ We are always moving about that I am always amongst strangers or at least I feel so and you have no idea how your letter cheered me up. I never hear from Dick's family [her brother]. Sometimes I get a letter from Laura [her sister]. Mother has been very sick this winter but is getting better. I lost most all my chickens with the Cholera last fall. I had so many nice ones that I raised after I moved in July. My cow has been dry for some weeks. It is so hard for me to do without milk and butter. I hate to cook - no cream to season anything with, but I suppose I will have to do the best I can until she is fresh. ”
-Mary Elizabeth Davis Back Creek Valley, West Virginia 1884
⁕⁕⁕
“ I will tell you the reason we had to move. I suppose you have heard of the big rain we had in June and done so much damage on Back Creek. Mr. Smith’s mill amongst them - where Mr. Pidgeon had rented - he said he could not repair it before first of September if then and some of his neighbors think he is not able to do it even then. Mr. Pidgeon was doing well getting as much as he could do and has done nothing since he tried round for a mill but could not succeed as they was all taken up at this time. He has the promise of Mr. Faulkner in the spring where we was a few years ago. There was no work to get where we was and so we had to leave. He expects to work at a steam saw mill until spring. We could not get a house hardly fit to live and that was close to his work. We have two small rooms... ”
-Mary Elizabeth Davis Hayfield Frederick County, Virginia 1884
⁕⁕⁕
“ We are living close to Mrs McFarland again. She has been very sick this winter but is better now. I never see her but she asks about you and when you are coming up. Mrs Osborne lives where Mrs Jenkins did when you was here. They are from Clark. Nice family and have some fine looking girls and very fond of dancing and very friendly. I like them very much. Mr. Harper lives in the little house below the mill and they are hard. He comes home drunk the other evening – two men had to carry him in like a hog. I hope they will leave the spring. The family are very troublesome. ”
-Mary Elizabeth Davis Hayfield Frederick County, Virginia 1885
⁕⁕⁕
" Walter and his friend Casper was here. He dined downstairs I did not see him long. He wanted me to do his washing for him but I thought he could get someone else as you say his actions and his company did not suit me. I expect to hear of something bad from them most any day I asked him no question what he was going to do. I used to hate it so bad when I was down there to hear him use such ugly words in a boy like him, but I know it was no use for me to say anything to him. He always knows best. "
-Mary Elizabeth Davis Virginia 1881
⁕⁕⁕
" Mrs McFarland has two more little girls since you saw her. She calls one Mary Eva. I have been at them to let me have her but we have not got their consent yet. I thought she would be so much company for me. Mr. Pidgeon is gone all day and often at night that I get lonely. No one to say a word too. We have a little dog and he jumps upon the foot of the bed. To hear him breathe has some relief. I dont feel afraid but I would like to have some one to talk me to sleep. I thought I would white wash and put a quilt in - that will be company through the day. "
-Mary Elizabeth Davis Virginia 1884


I'm currently (June 2026) working on other Pidgeon family members who wrote to Emma! Also, in April of 2026, I have officially been transcribing this letter collection for one whole year!! Time flies when your discovering your family's history!
ReplyDelete