Transcribers log #013 GRIFFIN CHILES JR. Confederate solider of Texas
Welcome to... My Darling Emma 1857
If you are NEW HERE be sure to read the beginning of the journey I am on transcribing my family's 19th century letter collection!
Lieutenant Griffin Chiles Jr.
(1829-1864)
💙💔🤍
The war hero... By the age of 30, Griffin Jr. had found himself all the way from the green lush beauty of the Shenandoah Valley to the dry lands of Texas! He strayed the furthest from home out of all Emma's siblings...
Texas is where Griffin Jr. met and married Prussian native Pauline Julia Bohne (1836-1898.) She had immigrated to Texas with her family around the age of 9. The couple had three children (one surviving son) and lived in Huntsville, Texas where Griffin Jr. was a carpenter and cabinet maker by trade.
*Interesting note written in the 1960s stated "the late cousin Drury Clevenger who was a nephew of Griffin Jr. of Winchester, VA. owned a small table or stand in which is written on the side of the drawer “this was made by Griffin Childs.”
What are the chances THAT little table is still in the Clevenger family?!? Most would say pretty slim BUT these letters are as old as the little table so you never know...
On March 20, 1862, Griffin jr. enlisted in company A, 21st Texas Calvary (also known as the 1st Texas Lancers) Parsons Brigade C.S.A. when according to his enlistment papers in the national archives in Washington DC, “he was 33 years old, travel 65 miles to rendezvous, had or was issued a horse valued at $140 and equipment valued at $35.” Griffin Jr. was enlisted for three years.
Pauline and Griffin Jr. had a 6 month old son when Griffin Jr. left for the war and sadly never to return. She renamed their son "Edward Lee” to “Edward Griffin” after his father's death on July 10, 1864, and the death of an infant brother who had been named “Griffin Chiles.”
In the national archives are copies of Griffin Jr. pay records on muster roll August 3, 1862 to February 28, 1863 and September in October 1863. He appears on a Confederate Army report of “artisans in the command” as a carpenter, the report being dated near Casso, Arkansas, October 13th 1863 -these reports are found on microfilm roll 110 of the confederate military records in the archives.
![]() |
| Pauline Julia Bohne 1836-1898 |
As for Pauline and baby Edward, she was given a section of land by the state of Texas as the widow of a confederate soldier, it was in East Texas and probably very valuable today. For many years she supported herself and son by sewing and by renting part of the house. Unfortunately Pauline was forced to let the home be sold for nonpayment of taxes.
Now as for Edward, he became a bookkeeper, had a family of his own even naming a son Griffin Chiles (1904-1997) (YES ANOTHER Griffin!) Edward lived to the ole stale age of 90! I have a letter he wrote when he was 12 years old to his grandpa Griffin Childs (Emma's father.) He wishes he can come visit his Childs kin that live states away. I have to wonder if Pauline or Eddie ever made it to visit Griffin's family in Virginia or if anyone ever visited them in Texas.
I'm also going to always wonder why Griffin even moved to Texas to begin with!? He like 3 of his brothers relocated themselves far away from the their home state. None of Emma's brothers returned "home" and all laid their roots throughout the country.
I'm not sure if there are any descendants living today on Griffin's Texas side of the Chiles/Childs family. If there are and they're reading this looking for information on their/our ancestors one day, know I've looked everywhere for details of Griffin and Pauline and I've been in contact with the following:
- Walker County Genealogical Society
- Gibbs-Powell Home and Walker County Museum in Huntsville, Texas
- HEARTS Veterans Museum of Texas
All 3 couldn't provide any further information, but at least they replied to me and wished me luck on this adventure! If you're in Huntsville, Texas area and know of any other genealogical local leads I'm missing and can inquire to, let me know! And if you're an ancestor of Griffin and Pauline, please say hello cousin!
Till the next time folks!
Sincerely,
CT
💬Quotes from a letter written by Griffin Jr. to his wife Pauline after 2 years and 2 months of being in the war
" We left town and came up with the rear guard of the enemy in 3 miles and pitched into them and fought them for 7 miles and then we camped for the night. Next day we were reinforced by the balance of our own brigade and every day since then we have been fighting them. Yesterday was the hardest battle that our regiment has ever been engaged in. We had about 7000 men and the Yankees 20,000. The fight opened by part of the 21st and part of the 19th charging the enemy camp at LF. Was on pickett[see below] the night before and was sent out on the night to watch the movements of the enemy and to pick off stragglers. We were in the right when the charge was made. The first line of Yankees came back a little but the field was covered with one line after another so our men gone back and they brought us up about 12 pieces of canon and we had eight and then for one hour it was almost deafening. Then brigade of infantry and three regiments of Calvary dismounted and moved forward to engaged to the enemy with small arms. Our regiment was on the extreme right to keep from being flanked. The roar of small arms was awful that lasted until near sundown. Both parties drew off willingly to quit. "
-Griffin Chiles Jr. Camp near Bayou Des Gleises, Louisiana May 20th, 1864
🌈 In the Civil War, "picket duty" was one of the most hazardous and demanding assignments a soldier could face. Sentinels were stationed well ahead of the main army to act as the primary watchmen—staying alert for enemy movements and intercepting stragglers to gather vital intelligence and maintain security
***
"...Next morning we took up our line of march and at 10 we came to their fort, the place they tried to get us to run them into. We met the good Secesh ladies of Alexandria who come but to meet us they brought us something to eat. There was a big hotel that a French man took us in. I left my house with one of our company with the promise to divide what I got. I went into little room and he had plenty of good Yankee whiskey. I took a drink and took him one, my horse holder. I went to the dining room and found plenty of good Yankee coffee and fried meat and biscuit. All the cups were engaged, I took a half gal. bucket that had sugar in it and emptied its contents on the table and filled the bucket and got some crackers and started to drink my coffee. We eat and drink that up and then I started for more coffee and by the time we got through we were ready for the chase again. I got plenty of crackers to do me five days. The Yankees set fire to the best part of town and burnt all the front down. My bed fellow got four good Yankee blankets he bought them for five dollars a piece. I got two of them one nice new one and one that has been worn some, he got two that was used, so if I have any luck in keeping I will have plenty for winter and won't need one from you for I have as much as I need and not and want for anything. "-Griffin Chiles Jr. Camp near Bayou Des Gleises, Louisiana May 20th, 1864
***
***
"This is the second day that we have not been riding since I left home, yet got on the same clothes that I started from home in, once I took off my shirt and “draws” and wash them and dry them by the fire and I'm not alone in that respect. "
-Griffin Chiles Jr. Camp near Bayou Des Gleises, Louisiana May 20th, 1864
![]() |
| Childs Family tombstone Photo from FindaGrave.com |
💬Excerpt from a letter written by Griffin Jr.’s widow Pauline to his sister Susan Childs (later Mrs. C.E. Clevenger)
" It most breaks my heart to tell you, he died 10 July 1864. He joined the army in April 1862, left me and one little boy 6 months old. He went to Arkansas May 12th and did not return until 8 January 1864. Then he stayed at home until March when he went to Louisiana where they had a hard fighting. They were in 21 different engagements and suffered a great deal from exposure, he came very near getting killed once or twice. They stayed there until the last of June. G. Chiles was not very well. Had two or three chills. Then they were ordered to Hampstead Texas to rest. All came by home to stay a few days. He got home on 3 July and left on the fifth was not very well. I begged hard for him to stay but he was so faithful he said as long as he was able he must be at his fort. When he got to Hampstead he had another chill, they stayed there a few days and then started home. He complained some but thought he could get here, he rode all day and stopped at the next town, Washington Texas where he stopped to stay all night not being able to travel any longer. He stopped with a Mr. Roberts, that was Friday night the 8th. The next morning he wanted to start home early, by hard riding he would get home at night, but Mr. Roberts told him he was not able to go, to very sick and and did not speak another word, but suffered until Sunday evening at 5 o'clock. Sunday at 12 Mr. Roberts telegraph me to come he was very sick. I went immediately and got there Monday evening, they had just returned from the grave yard where they had left all that was nearer and dear to me than all on earth. "
-Pauline Julia Bohne Chiles Huntsville Texas October 9, 1865
🍎🍎🍎
💬Quotes from a letter written by Pauline to Emma 10 years after Griffin Jr.'s death
"I was very happy to receive your letter. No you were not a stranger to my heart, if you are not to the eyes. I loved your brother so dearly that any of the very name is dear to me. It was so good of you to write, having never seen me, you will never know how much I appreciate your letter. Would that you ever nearer so I could have a better understanding of sharing my love for you. I never get a letter from any of you but it fills my whole soul with new love for his dear-ones at home. You think it my time to come, it would only be fulfilling the greatest desire of my heart to see you all. But circumstances do not admit of such a blessing yet. It may be in stone for a future day. When ever I yield to a day dream, build an air castle, a visit to Virginia, and all of you are the center. I love ever to have you express or desire to see Texas. I have a promise from Charley to come and see me. "
-Pauline Julia Bohne Chiles Huntsville, Texas February 26, 1874
"How is sister Beckie and the dear little baby getting along? And where is Charley? He has not come to Texas yet. I expect he has gone to the Centennial now, perhaps you are with him if so you must both come and tell me all you saw. Several have gone from here. More will go in September as the weather is so hot now, we think our worst part of summer is over June and July is generally warmer than this month."
-Pauline Julia Bohne Chiles Huntsville, Texas August 8, 1876
![]() |
| Letter written by Griffin Jr.’s widow Pauline to his sister Emma Childs |
💬Quote from Edward “Eddie” Griffin Chiles written to his grandpa Griffin Childs in Winchester, Virginia. He was 12 years old.
"I have long been wanting to write to you but thought I was too small. But now I think I am large enough. I go to school at the Austin Male College. My teacher is Professor Estill and Judge Woodall. I like them very much. I study geography arithmetic philosophy chemistry grammar and composition. I am in the double-rule of three. When I started to school to college I was 11 years old and never had wrote a composition in my life. The teacher soon made me write one and now I write one every day. I speak a speech every other Friday. I take the Youths Companion and Demorests Young America. I have me a flower garden every year. Excuse all the mistakes for in a hurry because I have to get my lessons tonight."
-Edward Griffin Chiles @1871 (age 12)
![]() |
| Edward Griffin Chiles 1861-1952 |
![]() |
| Letter written by Griffin Jr.’s widow Pauline from Huntsville, Texas to his sister Emma Childs in Winchester Virginia |
**Photos and Griffin Jr.'s quotes copied from the never published handmade book “Benjamin Childs 1755-1824 and Descendants” by Griffin Chiles (1904-1997) in 1968. BUT recently added online by a distant cousin and can be viewed by all here:
https://archive.org/details/benjamin-chiles-1755-1824-and-descendants-1968-by-griffin-chiles/mode/1up
1870 United States Federal Census
Texas, Marriage Collection, 1814-1909 and 1966-2011
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/19581730/griffin-chiles
Chiles Tombstone photo Added by: Bob Carpenter on 18 Oct 2011
.jpg)






Comments
Post a Comment