Transcribers log #014 SEMIQUINCENTENNIAL is the word

The back of an envelope in my letter collection of an advertisement for the St. Louis fair of 1877


Welcome to... My Darling Emma 1857

If you are NEW HERE be sure to read the beginning of the journey I am on transcribing my family's 19th century letter collection!

A few months ago a new word came into my existence. I can't be the only person that had never heard this tongue twister term before.

Semiquincentennial is the word. 

It means the 250th anniversary of something! And in this case, it is being used to celebrate America's birthday yall.  2026 marks our country's 250th anniversary of independence, commemorating the signing of the declaration of independence in 1776. 

Across the country, individual states and small American towns have planned festivities with block parties, parades, concerts and all sorts of community gatherings in between. Lots of 250th memorabilia are lining the stores and gas stations. Its a BIG year of honoring our good ole USA!

Early 2025 while I was transcribing some letters in the collection and I came across a few mentions of the 1876 Centennial. Yup, had never heard that term either. It was amazing to me that in a year's time, we would be celebrating the countries Semiquincentennial! AND now THAT time is happening THIS week!! Time flies when you're tracking ancestors. 

It's no wonder the 1876 Centennial was mentioned in my letter collection, it was the country's first and biggest celebration it's ever had. The event was set to be talked about for another 100 years to come!

The 1876 celebration centered on what was to be called "The Centennial Exposition." It would be the first official World's fair in the United States. The event would feature displays of world culture and showcase the United States' industrial revolution. The event was six months long (May-Nov) and held in Philadelphia's Fairmount Park. The 285 acres featured five main massive structures alongside roughly 250 smaller (newly & temporarily constructed) pavilions, with 3 miles of fencing around the perimeter!

The "The Centennial Exposition" 5 main buildings:

  • The main Exhibition building -showcased global consumer goods
  • Machinery hall -engineering technology and steam power
  • Memorial hall -art gallery that is still an art gallery today
  • Agricultural hall -farming exhibits
  • Horticulture hall -featured exotic plants and greenhouse architecture

Nearly 10 million visitors came to The Centennial Exposition. Eager fairgoers paid $.50 at the gate. The event held a grand unveiling for several legendary inventions like the typewriter, the sewing machine and everyone's favorite Alexander Graham Bell's... the telephone. It was also said to have introduced such classic novelties as Heinz ketchup, Hires (America's 1st) root beer, popcorn, and bananas. 
For the first time at a World's Fair, The 1876 Exposition featured a dedicated space (funded & operated by an all-female committee) to highlight women's work & contributions in the arts, sciences and industry. The "Woman's Pavilion" was not just a 30,000 square-foot building, it was a space that challenged traditional domestic limitations and became a landmark event for gender equality serving as an early platform for advocacy. 
Additionally a "conference of librarians" was held during the expo. 103 librarians (90 men and 13 women) met and formed The American Library Association (ALA). The goal of the association was "to enable librarians to do their present work more easily and at less expense."
Now today its 2026 and I've been reading about hundreds of events and celebrations for America's 250th Semiquincentennial all over this beautiful country. Millions of Americans will be celebrating this important milestone in our country's history - 250 years of American independence. Happy 250th America! 
Be safe in your festivities my fellow Americans.
Till the next one folks!
Sincerely,
CT

Quotes from my family heirloom  letter collection about the 1876 Centennial Exposition:
"I have been reading about the great Centennial exposition that comes off next year. Are you going? I would like very much to go. I have two cousins that are going. I think they might take me don't you? I expect I will have to be disappointed as it is always my luck. "

-Esther “Hattie” Griffin  Indiana  October 15, 1875


"....but tell me all the news when you are going to marry or are you going to be an old maid and if you are going to the Centennial. Send me some cake to dream on - that took me as you think - I am going there so much and taking advantage of you, but you must not think that for I would not do anything against you for the world. It would be no use for me to if I wanted to - for he has taken such a fan of your picture that he never gives any attention to me any more. He says if he goes to the Centennial he will come around that way to see you - so be on your guard for he is a little flirt, but dont tell him I said so. "

-Esther “Hattie” Griffin  Indiana  April 8, 1876


"Well I expect you had a nice time at the wedding. I would liked to have been there and went with you for I always like to go to weddings, there was two weddings on the hill above Aurora last week - they went to the Centennial after they were married. There is several more talked of one in Aurora tomorrow evening - there was a young lady here last evening told me she was invited. Where are you going to spend the Fourth?"

-Esther “Hattie” Griffin  Indiana  June 8, 1876


"I was in Aurora the day I got your letter. I had gone down to attend the Institute and had a good time. Cousin Robert Milburn went with me. He took part in the courses. He had decimal fractions and did very well. He is teaching at our school house this winter and boarding here. He went to the Centennial and visited all the principal cities in the east if I had gone with him we would stop to see you but father was very sick at the time and not expected to live and I couldn't go."

-Esther “Hattie” Griffin  Indiana  June 8, 1876



"How is sister Beckie and the dear little baby getting along? And where is Charley? He has not come to Texas yet. I expect he has gone to the Centennial now, perhaps you are with him if so you must both come and tell me all you saw. Several have gone from here. More will go in September as the weather is so hot now, we think our worst part of summer is over June and July is generally warmer than this month."

-Pauline J. Bohne Childs Huntsville Texas August 8, 1876 



https://www.ala.org/aboutala/
https://collaborativehistory.gse.upenn.edu/
https://libwww.freelibrary.org/digital/feature/centennial/exhibition

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Transcriber's LOG #001 - The begining of MDE1857

Transcriber's Log #002 - THE CHILDS SIBLINGS of Winchester, Virginia

Transcribers Log #004 - ELIZABETH RIDGELY JACKSON of Winchester, Virginia