Transcribers log #016 THE TANQUARY SISTERS of Burnt Factory, Virginia
For the family historians that have inherited a stack full of really old notes, receipts, letters and photos of your relatives, you know how exciting receiving these treasures can be! There is something special about putting a visual face to a name you've read over and over again in those late nights researching. I also find it kinda fun to see if you have any of the same characteristics of ancestors! Oh and I really like seeing their clothing and hairstyles too!
In my "stack" of early 20th century family photos were 2 that have always stood out to me. Its 3 beautiful young sisters with a last name I'm not familiar with - Tanquary.
![]() |
| The Tanquary sisters photo taken before 1908 back says: "Children in group taken by Charles Hoffman" |
"Mollie, Lucy and Mildred Tanquary of Burnt Factory" was written on one of the photos and I took to the good ole world wide web to find out more about this trio and if or how they were related. Their farmer parents were Charles William Tanquary and Ada E. Hoffman who resided in Frederick County, Virginia.
Charles was the only descendant of Confederate soldier Corporal James W. Tanquary (1826-1901) and his wife Leticia Grubb. James was "one of the oldest and most highly esteemed citizens of Eastern Frederick county." Two years prior to his death, he sustained paralyzing injuries from a fall into a ditch where he was staying while on a trip out West. A year later, James would suffer another stroke while back home in Winchester and had been in failing up since.
During the Civil War, James was assigned to work in the government shops in Staunton, where "harness and saddles" were made for the Army. After the war, James owned a general store in Burnt Factory and would accumulate considerable property and wealth for him and his family.
Tanquary Family Tree:
II. James & Leticia Grubb Tanquary
III. Charles & Ada Hoffman Tanquary
III. Mary Tanquary.
III. Lucy Tanquary.
III. Mildred Tanquary.
![]() |
| Left to Right Mollie, Mildred and Lucy Tanquary |
The young Tanquary sisters prospered with rich lives, but I don't have any lavish stories to share. There are no correspondences telling of fascinating travels or adventurous buggy rides to town. There are just 2 pictures I inherited that came along in the box with the letter collection.
🎀 Mary "Mollie" Tanquary died probably not much longer after these photos were taken - in 1908 - after a two week struggle with pneumonia she passed away on a Saturday evening on her parents farm. Miss Tanguary was known to be "very pretty" and "popular" and had been attending public school there in Burnt Factory. She was 14 years old.
🎀 Mildred Tanquary just two years later in 1910, youngest sister Mildred sadly passed away at age 11.
🎀 Lucy Abigail Tanquary the only surviving sister married the Rev Harry Carter Marsh in 1918 when she was 22 years old. The couple had two children, Dr. William Marsh (1926-2003) and Peggy Lou Tanquary Marsh-Miller (1924-2010.) I believe there may be still descendants of Lucy's family living today and I hope they come across this blog post someday!
I never did find these Tanquary sisters in my family tree. I would guess the Tanquarys are "friends of the family" or neighbors. None the less, they are now memorialized on the "My Darling Emma 1857" blog forever.
Thanks for reading about the Tanquary sisters!
Til the next one folks!
Sincerely,
CT
Year: 1910; Census Place: Stonewall, Frederick, Virginia; Roll: T624_1629; Page: 6a; Enumeration District: 0038; FHL microfilm: 1375642
"Winchester Evening Star" 20th February 1908
''The Washington Post'' Washington, D. C. 11 April 1901, page 9


Comments
Post a Comment