Transcribers log #017 RACHEL LOUSIA STEER of Waterford, Virginia

Rachel Louisa Steer

(1825-1896)


Photo from The Waterford Foundation, Inc

There is only one single letter from her in my collection of heirloom handwritten correspondences.  Miss Steer here took me quite some time to figure out who she was and how she fit into the puzzle of this project! If you're new here -long story short- I inherited a few hundred 19th century letters mostly addressed to my grandfather's grandma named Emma born in 1857. I have been transcribing these letters since April 2025. Each blog entry is about a letter writer in the collection. Welcome to "My Darling Emma 1857!"

Rachel Steer and her solo letter had no cover (envelope) BUT on the back had the name of Emma's much older half sister Rebecca Ann Keeler. This letter was signed “Lucy R Schooley” and I hadn't come by that last name before in my 20+ year genealogy research or in this letter collection. But after some late night snooping, I came to realize Lucy Schooley WAS Rachel Louisa Steer! AND I was actually quite familiar with the last name STEER because they (including Rachelare in MY genealogy tree - but smalltown enough through whom would be Emma’s future in-laws. So to note: Rachel and Rebecca are NOT related, but I did figure out a connection as to how they may have became acquainted... 

    Recently I was looking into Emma's half sister Rebecca and I realized that in 1846 Rebecca gave birth to her first son in Waterford, Virginia -where Rachel was from! 

    Rachel and her husband Ruben Schooley lived on the corner of Clarke's Gap Road and High Street. He was a Quaker mechanist/wheelwright in a mill there in WaterfordRebecca's husband, Joseph Keeler was also a mechanist and my thinking was they went there for employment in a mill and met Rachel and Ruben. I’m not sure for how long Rebecca and Joseph lived in Waterford, Virginia. The couples next son was born “back home” in Frederick County a few years later where they remained. 


    Now as for Rachel “LucySchooley, she was the daughter of Quaker parents Mary and Joseph Steer of Waterford, Virginia. Rachel was the youngest in the family and I should add more than likely the "Louisa Steer" who was educated at the Samuel M. Janney Springdale School in 1840. The school was a well respected Quaker boarding school in Goose Creek (Now Lincoln) some 10 miles from Waterford

When researching these pioneering letter writing women in my collection, I couldn't help but notice all the loss and grief they endured. It was the one thing that every letter writer had in common. Doesn't matter whether one is rich or poor, man or woman, all suffer from loss.  

In 1825 when Rachel was born, she was actually a TWIN and that was a rarity back then! So rare that only one percent of births were twins and the survival rates were sadly pretty low due to lacking medical care. Around 10 out of 10,000 births were twins around this time.

Rachel's twin sister unfortunately passed away at 18 months old. 

Rachel would then suffer the loss of her mother at 16 years old in 1841.

Some 20 years later the Civil War begins. Rachel's Quaker husband Ruben Schooley leaves his wife and children fleeing to Maryland in avoidance of the looming war. He returned 8 months later when the Rebels left Loudon County in March 1862... 

BUT all wouldn't stay quiet on the home front. Come August 1862 "a Rebel Calvary unit swept into Waterford before dawn on the 27th, surrounding a smaller local Union Calvary force that had taken over the local Baptist Church as its headquarters. In the fire fight that followed several were killed and wounded on both sides." After this harrowing conflict, Rachel and neighbors would then render aid to the wounded soldiers. 

I want to share an excerpt about Rachel/Lucy from a letter that was kindly shared with me by The Waterford Foundation. It was written by Waterford resident Eliza (Hunt) Walker to her Husband James M. Walker telling of the Skirmish at Waterford in the fall of 1862:

"Soon after the last of the “Grey Coats” passed, I saw persons moving about the shop - & Susan heard a woman scream-  She & Edith went down – it was Lucy – who as soon as the last Rebel passed, stepped over to the shop with coffee &c for the wounded man; & followed his bloody track to the Spring – where she found him lying dead"


Life pushed on after the Civil War for Rachel, Ruben and their kids. In the summer of 1869 Rachel was then 44 and wrote this letter from Waterford, Virginia to friend Rebecca in Winchester, Virginia. The letter that I am NOW in possession of in 2026 in Pennsylvania. I have transcribed it and copied it below. 

Rachel was survived buy numerous children and grandchildren when she was taken by dysentery at the age of 71 in 1896.

Rachel's letter to Rebecca Keeler. I'm not sure what the bottom lines says.

You know while researching Rachel, it led me to read all sorts of stories and tales of Waterford, Virginia. I found it pretty cool to learn it is now a LIVING historical town which means it has been kept (and restored) to be the same as to when Rachel was living there many many years ago!! 

I've now added Waterford, Virgina to my American history bucket list of places to visit AND it sounds like one of the best times to go is during their Fall Festival (called Waterford Fair) which is coming up in October and celebrating their 82nd year! AND I only live a few hours away! 

I hope to see you soon Waterford and see the paths my ancestors walked and the place they called home!

Til the next one folks!

Sincerely,
CT


Letter written by Rachel Louisa "Lucy" (Steer) Schooley to Rebecca (Childs) Keeler


May 7th, 1869 

    Dear Rebecca

Thy kind little letter came to hand in do time and I was glad once more to hear thy was in the land of the living. I intended when I answered thy letter to write thee a good long one but my many cares caused me to put off until just now Billy came in for the picture to take out to Jophy. So I must write a few lines in a hurry. I have nine in family and not one bit of help and a sick babe also, so thee may know my time is pretty well taken up. My darling little boy is about 18 months old. The sweetest little thing thee ever saw. He talks very sweetly and does many things to make us love him more and more. I send thy picture. I think the moths have had a hold of the inside lining. Thee may return this or a photograph just as thee would rather. I expect Nellie would like to keep this one if so she has my permission. 

Perhaps thee has not heard of the wedding we are going to have? Mary J. Steer and Amasa Hogue are to be married the 24th of this month. They are making great preparations for the affair. I do not know how brother James will do without her before she has ever been the light of his home, but he knows more have had to bear the lake before him. My darling babe is standing by me pulling me and crying “mugge” he is so poorly I must take him. I wish thee would write again to me. Give my love to Nellie, respects to Joseph and treat thyself to a much of it as thee wishes.

    Farewell from thy true friend

        Lucy R Schooley



Children of Rachael Louisa Steer and Ruben Schooley:
Joseph E  (born 1852) Blacksmith married Mary Thomas
Franklin E  (1855-1856)
Henry M  (born 1857) Dentist in Washington, DC. Married India Woltz
Elliot C  (1858-1905) Wagon maker moved to Illinois. Married Eva Dike 
Mariana  (1861-1915) married Samuel Buckman
Horace P (1867-1926) married Eva Harrison

James T  (1878-1889 age 11)

 






https://www.waterfordhistory.org/history/waterford-mills
1860-1900 United States Federal Censuses
Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy. Vol. VI: (Virginia) 
Letter from Eliza (Hunt) Walker to James M. Walker, dated 27 August 1862 -Transcribed from the original by Richard Talbott Walker 5 December 2009 provided by the Waterford Foundation, Inc
https://www.waterfordfoundation.org/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Transcriber's LOG #001 - The begining of MDE1857

Transcriber's Log #002 - THE CHILDS SIBLINGS of Winchester, Virginia

Transcribers Log #004 - ELIZABETH RIDGELY JACKSON of Winchester, Virginia